Thursday 11 January 2018

an invisible disease

hello all,

Sorry  I haven't posted in ages, been really busy with exams and travelling and now i have my own laptop so I can post a lot more often.Anyway a  quick update 2018 now I will be 16 in July I can't actually believe it!!! In  May and June I will be doing my IGCSE-s in September I will  begin IB.
2017 was a busy year I was very lucky I had two school trips to Lisbon in Portugal and Berlin in Germany I was also lucky enough to go to Abruzzo for a night with school. I got to go to Perugia and l'isola d'elba. I went back to Leicester and as a christmas present I went to London.

Any way this post is about the fact that  stargardts  is an invisible disease. For example when you look at someone with SD (stargardts  disease) you dont realise straight away that they have it.
now I have never actually said before that it is a disability not in front of many people until this week.
I had an experience which i would rather keep to myself where I had to stand up for myself and say I I have a disability but  i still dont see it as a disability just a small struggle, but to others it is its a disability and others dont  understand it so i need to explain it simply.
I have finally accepted this that I do need to shout out alotmore, and I had a presentation well a 60 second speech about someone who inspires me.
So I decided to choose someone different not Nelson Mandela or Obama I chose Libby Clegg who is a paralympian sprinter with SD. I am friends wth her on facebook . I did my 60 second presentation on her and it got people really curious and its actually built up my confidence alot more with talking to people about my eyesight. I 've always been afraid of talking to people about my eyes and only  certain people like the SEN support team at school and family and close friends.
Now i am talking to most people about it and I feel quite confident.
I 've always had terrible nerves hopefully now is a start to them finally being okay.

thanks for reading
Sorry about typos 

Flo

No comments: